SWAP (Scottish Wider Access Programme) courses are designed if you have few or no formal qualifications and have been out of full-time education for at least 3 years (5 years if studied Highers or a Higher National course or similar level).
SWAP Access courses provide you with an alternative route into higher education and are designed to give you intensive academic preparation as well as the opportunity to develop the skills and confidence you need for entry into higher education through recognised progression routes at Colleges or Universities in Scotland.
The SWAP Access to Languages Arts and Social Sciences is a full-time course (18 hours a week) running from the end of August to the middle of June. During Semester 1 learners are typically required to be at College 5 days a week with some mornings and afternoons off. During Semester 2 learners are at College 3-4 days a week as course units are completed and there is more independent study involved.
For more information on SWAP courses please go here: http://www.scottishwideraccess.org/
You will study a range of units at SCQF Levels 4 to 7 in order to prepare you for your degree studies. Language study (French or Spanish) may be combined in different ways depending on previous knowledge of a language and the levels available. All units are internally assessed unless external assessments are required to satisfy particular progression routes. In addition to these units you will attend weekly tutorials, open days and study skills events held by Universities and Colleges as part of your preparation for Higher Education.
- Core Mathematics
- Local Investigations
- Developing Skills
- College Devised Units
Languages are mandatory but there are options dependent on student’s existing skills and knowledge
How Course Is Assessed:
- Assessments for each unit
Number of Days per week:
- If you have studied at SCQF Level 6 you should normally have had a gap in formal full-time education of at least 5 years prior to commencing an access programme
- If your first language is not English you should hold one of the following ESOL qualifications as proof of English Language competence- IELTS scored at 5.5 or above, a Cambridge First Certificate or an SQA ESOL Intermediate 2 (full award i.e. 2 units and external examination grade C or above) or other equivalent English qualification such as a university degree in English
- If you are unable to provide evidence of ESOL level as above you will need to do the college ESOL level test and any offer of a place is conditional on passing the test.
- To be eligible for SWAP, an applicant MUST have been out of full-time education for 3 years if they already have qualifications at SCQF Level 5 or equivalent. Or 5 years if they already have qualifications at least SCQF Level 6 or equivalent.
English Proficiency Requirements:
- Minimum IELTS score of 5.5
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Further study employment and/or training.
- Access a wide range of degrees at:
- the University of Abertay
- University of Dundee
- University of Edinburgh
- Edinburgh College of Art
- Heriot-Watt University
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Queen Margaret University
- University of Stirling
- University of St Andrews
- Progress to HNC/D programmes in a further education college. Study other qualifications in modern languages, arts or social sciences.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...