This course allows you to develop the practical skills and knowledge for a range of fitness techniques and activities appropriate to the fitness and recreation industry. Youll study a wide range of topics and develop practical skills to lead fitness activities through participating in a coaching placement one day per week working in local primary schools - valuable practical experience in the industry. You will need good communication skills have an active interest in exercise and fitness and working with children be physically fit and show an enthusiasm for all activities.
- This course focuses on leading exercise and physical activities practical coaching experience child protection and resistance and fitness training.
- The course also incorporates the Level 1 Dance Leaders award exercise to music emergency first aid survive and save human physiology and health and wellbeing.
- You may also have the opportunity to complete other entry level coaching awards to widen your skillset. Where appropriate you will study essential skills such as;
- working with others
- problem solving.
How Course Is Assessed:
- Course assessment will include written tests group exercises and practical exercises.
- Assessment is continuous throughout this course and you`ll put together practical and written evidence of the skills you learn in the form of a portfolio.
Number of Days per week:
- Candidates would ideally 3 passes at National 4 in relevant subject areas, English and/or a science subject would be advantageous.
- Appropriate experience would be advantageous either from placements undertaken at school or other involvement in the industry.
- You may be a candidate such as a mature returnee or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family.
- In these or other cases we would take into account work experience life skills and potential ability.
- An interest in fitness and in working with children An enthusiastic individual with an active interest in fitness
- Communication skills
- Physically fit
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At interview you will be expected to demonstrate a knowledge of and active participation in fitness health and exercise activities therefore it will include a practical element.
- The interview session may also include some written work to assess your general knowledge in fitness health and exercise anatomical systems and identify your personal aims objectives and potential career path.
- There will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
- It may be possible for you to gain direct entry to employment in the health and fitness industry such as;
- an assistant fitness coach
- leisure assistant
- assistant coach
- after school club leader.
Download our progression route map here
- You may go directly into the world of work or progress onto further study at appropriately levelled courses in fitness health and exercise such as:
- SVQ 2/CYQ2 Exercise and Fitness Instructors Course
- HNC/D in Fitness Health and Exercise
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...