This is a practical based entry level course designed to equip you for further study or employment. It will help you to develop knowledge and skills in sport and fitness and provide a general understanding of the work environment in the sport and fitness industry. Ideal for those in the early stages of finding an appropriate career path. If you are returning to education this course may allow you return to study without the pressure to achieve at a level that may be too ambitious for you.
- Develop knowledge and skills in sport and fitness
- Personal fitness
- How to deal with accidents and emergencies
- Plan activity sessions and participate in a range of familiar sports
- Session planning skills
- Working with others
- General understanding of the work environment in the sport and fitness industry.
How Course Is Assessed:
- The course is assessed on an on-going basis throughout the academic year using a variety of methods which can include: written assessments logbooks group exercises projects and practical exercises.
Number of Days per week:
- Although no formal qualifications are required an active interest in sport and fitness is desirable. Experience of assisting/volunteering in a sports coaching or active leisure environment would be advantageous. You may be a candidate such as a mature returnee or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family. In these or other cases we would take into account work experience life skills and potential ability.
- You should be able to provide evidence of or are expecting to meet the minimum entry qualifications by August 2015. You should have an active interest and regular participation in sport and fitness activities. Although not essential at the point of application evidence of a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme will be an expectation of all applicants.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At interview you will be expected to demonstrate your ability to participate in sport exercise and fitness activities. The interview session may also include some written work to demonstrate your general knowledge in sport exercise and fitness activities and identify your personal aims objectives and potential career path. Also included will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
- It may be possible for you to gain direct entry to employment as a recreation assistant assistant coach assistant lifeguard or sports leader. It may also be possible gain a traineeship which could offer further worked based learning in relevant areas perhaps leading to a Modern Apprenticeship.
Download our progression route map here
- You may go directly into the world of work or progress onto further study at appropriately levelled courses in Sports Coaching or Health and Fitness such as: Access to Outdoor Pursuits Employment. SVQ level 2 courses in Sports Coaching or Activity Leadership. NQ Exercise and Fitness.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...