This course is aimed primarily at people who wish to progress onto one of our exercise fitness or coaching related FE courses at SCQF level 5 or 6. Generally, the group will consist of a combination of people returning to study after a break, people looking for a career change or pupils who have left school at Christmas.
The course allows students to develop introductory skills in a number of key areas which could be developed further on more advanced courses. The course is intensive and students will be expected to participate fully in both theory and practical elements.
- Focus on your practical performance
- Developing knowledge and skills in how to exercise effectively using a variety of methods
- Coach or lead individuals and groups in various settings and engage in local sport and physical activity initiatives.
Although a high level of fitness is not a requirement of the course it is hoped that you would make improvements to your personal fitness.
How Course Is Assessed:
An on-going basis throughout the semester using a variety of methods which can include
- practical tasks
Number of Days per week:
- A minimum of three passes in subjects at National 4 level or above and although not essential English and PE would be an advantage
- Current regular participation in sport and exercise activities
- Although not essential at the point of application evidence of a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme may be an expectation of all applicants.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At, interview, you will be expected to demonstrate a knowledge of and active participation in sport and exercise, therefore it will include a practical element.
- The interview session may also include some written work to assess your general knowledge in sport and exercise activities, anatomical systems and identify your personal aims, objectives and potential career path.
- There will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
- This course is primarily aimed at progression to further study although it may be possible to gain employment in positions such as gym/leisure/sports assistant.
Download our progression route map here
- Although you may gain transferable skills that could assist you in the world of work this course is designed as a progression to courses in exercise, fitness or coaching, that are more specifically suited to providing you with direct employment opportunities.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...