The SVQ 2 Exercise and Fitness Instructor course will allow you to gain industry-specific exercise and fitness skills and is designed to equip you with the qualities you need to work in the fitness industry. You’ll be based in a professional working environment and will demonstrate what you have learnt through practical work-based assessments. You’ll have to be reasonably fit and have good interpersonal skills and whilst not as academically demanding as an HNC course it is still intensive. You will find it demanding physically and you’ll be required to participate fully in all classes. This course may appeal to you if you are a school leaver an adult seeking to return to education already working in the leisure industry and looking to gain more formal qualifications or perhaps you are ready for a career change.
Develop a wide portfolio of skills helping you to access jobs within the leisure industry or progress onto further study. This course includes units at SCQF levels 5 (Intermediate 2) and 6 (Higher)
- Instructional skills
- Anatomy and exercise
- Introductory exercise programming
- Nutrition planning and teaching
- Gym and exercise classes
- First aid (incorporating First Aid at Work)
- Where appropriate you may study essential skills such as; communication, ICT, numeracy, working with others and problem solving. It will also provide an understanding of the work environment in the exercise and fitness industry.
How Course Is Assessed:
- The course is assessed on an on-going basis throughout the academic year using a variety of methods which can include: written assessments logbooks group exercises assignments practical tasks and observations and portfolio work.
Number of Days per week:
- Ideally you will have a number of credit standard grades or perhaps a Higher. You may have done an access or NQ course at SCQF level 5 or have a National Progression Award in Exercise and Fitness Leadership. Appropriate experience would be advantageous either from placements undertaken at school or other involvement in the industry. You may be a candidate such as a mature returnee or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family. In these or other cases we would take into account work experience life skills and potential ability.
- You should be able to provide evidence of or are expecting to meet the minimum entry qualifications by August 2015. You should have an active interest and regular participation in exercise and fitness activities. Although not essential at the point of application evidence of a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme will be an expectation of all applicants.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At interview you will be expected to demonstrate a knowledge of and active participation in exercise and fitness therefore it will include a practical element. The interview session may also include some written work to assess your general knowledge in exercise and fitness activities anatomical systems and identify your personal aims objectives and potential career path. There will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
- You can gain direct entry to employment as a Fitness Instructor Leisure Attendant or similar posts within either private health clubs or local authority leisure centres. Previous students from the college are employed in fitness facilities within Edinburgh the Lothians and Scottish Borders.
Download our progression route map here
- You may go directly into the world of work or progress onto further study at appropriately levelled courses in Exercise and Fitness such as: HNC/D in Fitness Health and Exercise.
Sally, who studied the Exercise and Fitness Instructors Course at Edinburgh College and graduated in 2014, said: “I knew if I was going to come away with a medal I would have to put in my best performances. This has been my dream since London - I just can’t put it into words.”
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...