This course will prepare you for work in Health and Social Care or progression on to a relevant Higher level courses at college. If you’re wishing to change career path and already have qualifications in other areas National 5 in Care is the ideal course to start you on your new path. If you are currently studying on a Level 4 course at College and want to move to the next level within Care this course is for you. On this course you will have the opportunity of studying subjects that will prepare you to study Health or Social Care at level 6. There a four groups of National 5 Care, two study National 5 Biology and two study National 5 Psychology. In order to access the Biology route you require to have studied Biology/Science at SCQF Level 4. Please ensure you indicate this in your application.
National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher qualifications, accredited by the SQA, are typically studied at high school and college. These qualifications act as pathways to further study including university entry. Edinburgh College offers a selection of subjects at National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher level on a part time basis. You may choose to study up to two subjects.
For classes taking place during the day you come to college twice a week for a two hour class. For evening classes you come to college or an outreach location within the community once a week for a 3 hour class.
Course Fees: £275 (approx.) per subject. Fees will be confirmed when application has been processed.
On this course you will study a range of health and social care related units including:
- Core skills including numeracy, IT and communication
- You will also be expected to complete the National 5 in Care extended project National 5 Psychology including extended project
How Course Is Assessed:
- This course is assessed by case study project and SQA National Assessments.
Number of Days per week:
- Minimum 4 National 4s English and Biology if you want to access Health Courses at Level 6
- Mature candidates who do not possess these formal qualifications may be considered where you can demonstrate your ability to study at this level
- You can progress to this if you have successfully completed the Nat 4 Health and Social Care Academy
- You can progress to this if you have successfully completed a relevant Level 4 / National 4 fulltime course within college
- If English is not your first language you will need to demonstrate that your English is the equivalent of IELTS 5.5
Applicants must demonstrate the ability to work at an appropriate level by having already achieved a pass at A or B in the level below which they are applying for.
- National 5 (SCQF 5) subjects - pass at National 4 (with added value unit), Intermediate 1 at A or B, or Standard Grade 3 or 4 in the subject.
- Higher (SCQF 6) subjects - A or B pass at National 5 or A or B at Intermediate 2 in the subject.
- Advanced Higher (SCQF 7) subjects - A or B pass at Higher
- For entry to social science subjects such as Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy, History and Politics previous study of the subject is not required. However National 5 English is required plus another social subject at SCQF level 5.
The above represents the minimum entry requirements.
These courses are challenging and require the ability to study independently. Applicants should identify clearly the reason for studying their chosen subject in their course application.
- This course is open to all applicants who meet the entry qualifications.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Download our progression route map here
- On successful completion of this course you can progress onto the NC Health and Social Care or if you have studied and passed the course including National 5 Biology you can progress to NC Nursing. You can also go into employment
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...