This one-year exciting course covers the skills required to enter and work in the Barbering industry. You will attend theory classes to give you the knowledge to complete the written work and e-assessments required for the course and gain essential practical experience working on clients in our professional salon environment and Academy working with high-end product companies such as Wella to enhance your employability prospects further.
You will be provided with up to date training in new innovations and techniques with leading product manufacturers and barbers. Edinburgh College is recognised as a Centre of Excellence by Wella - one of only two Scottish colleges this professional recognition reflects the exceptional standard of facilities and training you’ll experience during your course.
This award is recognised within the industry as qualifying you as a Barber. You will also be qualified to access further studies at the next level of your development to enhance your barbering skills even further.
Please note: there is an additional cost for course kit, uniforms and books which must be purchased prior to starting the course. Students will also be expected to bring in clients for practice and assessment purposes
- Advise and Consult with Clients
- Shampoo and Condition
- Hair Dry and Finish Hair
- Cutting Hair and Facial Hair
- Team Work
- Create Basic Outlines
- Detailing in Hair Salon Reception
- All students at this level will take part in a work placement programme during their studies.
How Course Is Assessed:
- All practical assessments are carried out on paying clients within the department.
- The theory aspects of the course are carried out under exam conditions completing open book assignments or e-assessment multiple choice questions
Number of Days per week:
- 4 days per week (9-4pm) plus one evening (4:30-8pm) and one day work placement
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older before the start date of the course and either hold a minimum of 2 passes at SCFQ level 4 qualifications or equivalent or a recognised Level 1 hairdressing and barbering qualification
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- A written task and skills test as well as a formal interview with the scoring criteria covering - qualifications presentation communication skills enthusiasm and attitude at interview written task and skills test results
- You will be qualified to work within the Barbering industry
Download our progression route map here
- VTCT Level 3 Hairdressing
Our success stories speak for themselves. Our students take part in a variety of events and competitions over their time at college eg the Association of Hairdressing and Therapists (AHT) National Competition Wella Exposure to name but a few. Recent events include Hair Club Live ‘Open Chair’ competitions and representing HABIA (the hairdressing national lead body) on stage at the Scottish Hair and Beauty Show.
This year we are hosting the Great British Barber Bash with show-stopping workshops with some of the best barbers in the UK. We also have had the pleasure and honour of the UK leading Barber in Male Grooming Chris Foster working with our barbering students.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...