This course will allow you to develop the necessary skills and knowledge for a career in automotive engineering, working on Heavy vehicles (Lorries, buses etc). You will learn about a wide range of vehicle systems including health and safety, routine maintenance, vehicle technology, Panel removal, inspection & repair of tyres, steering systems & suspension systems (among others).
The majority of your time on the course will be spent in the workshop carrying out practical tasks. For each task you carry out your findings will be compiled into a portfolio of evidence to highlight the practical skills developed. You will spend some time in class covering the underpinning knowledge of vehicle systems too. You will also develop core skills which can be applied to everyday life and future employment in areas such as communication numeracy IT and problem solving.
The course is great preparation for further training allowing you to apply for roles as an apprentice technician as part of our Modern Apprentice program.
- Health and Safety
- Routine maintenance
- Vehicle technology
- Panel removal
- Inspection & repair of tyres
- Steering systems
- Suspension systems
- Problem Solving
- Working with Others
How Course Is Assessed:
- Practical Assessment and online exams
Number of Days per week:
- English, maths & a science at National 4 or above (Standard grade general level).
- You must have an interest in Automotive Engineering
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Bennetts mechanical comprehension test, no preparation required
- You will also have a brief chat with one of our teaching staff to assess your suitability for the course and discuss your different options.
- Employment in the motor industry
- Employment in motorsports
- Transfer into higher level engineering courses.
Download our progression route map here
- Progress onto our level 2 Light Vehicle Diploma
- Apply for apprentice positions and transfer onto our modern apprentice program
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...