You’ll gain a broad understanding of electrical engineering including electrical principles, electrical installation fundamentals, mathematics, IT and electrical hand skills. The areas you’ll study are designed to support you in advancing to further studies in this area, including apprenticeships in installation or maintenance.
National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher qualifications, accredited by the SQA, are typically studied at high school and college. These qualifications act as pathways to further study including university entry. Edinburgh College offers a selection of subjects at National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher level on a part time basis. You may choose to study up to two subjects.
For classes taking place during the day you come to college twice a week for a two hour class. For evening classes you come to college or an outreach location within the community once a week for a 3 hour class.
Course Fees: £275 (approx.) per subject. Fees will be confirmed when application has been processed.
- Electrical Principles
- Electrical Installation Fundamentals
- Electrical hand skills
- We regularly review the course content and a complete list of the SQA units involved is available on request
How Course Is Assessed:
Number of Days per week:
- Intermediate 2 maths English and physics
Applicants must demonstrate the ability to work at an appropriate level by having already achieved a pass at A or B in the level below which they are applying for.
- National 5 (SCQF 5) subjects - pass at National 4 (with added value unit), Intermediate 1 at A or B, or Standard Grade 3 or 4 in the subject.
- Higher (SCQF 6) subjects - A or B pass at National 5 or A or B at Intermediate 2 in the subject.
- Advanced Higher (SCQF 7) subjects - A or B pass at Higher
- For entry to social science subjects such as Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy, History and Politics previous study of the subject is not required. However National 5 English is required plus another social subject at SCQF level 5.
The above represents the minimum entry requirements.
These courses are challenging and require the ability to study independently. Applicants should identify clearly the reason for studying their chosen subject in their course application.
- You should have a knowledge and understanding of maths and physics
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- Pre entry test followed by 1 to 1 interview
- Electrical apprenticeship in either installation or maintenance
- Electrical Engineering HND
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...