The HNC Computing award is designed to offer you academic and technician training so you will have the skills necessary to design, implement and support IT systems in a vast range of industries. You will develop a range of up to date vocational skills relating to the use and support of IT systems and networking technology.
In this first year course, you will follow the HNC Computing programme. You will then choose from two specialist streams of Networking and Computer Science if you wish to continue your studies to HND level for a second year. This gives you the freedom to shape your own studies according to your own aspirations in your future career or studies.
The course includes units such as Introduction to Developing Software, Computer Systems Fundamentals, Troubleshooting Computer Problems, Team Working in Computing and Networking technology (which is semester 1 of the highly sought after CISCO Certified Network Associate certificate).
- Introduction to Developing Software
- Professionalism and Ethics in Computing
- Computer Systems Fundamentals
- Troubleshooting Computer Problems
- Team Working in Computing
- PC Hardware and Operating System Essentials
- Client Operating Systems
- Networking Technology
- Building Local Area Networks
- Security Concepts
How Course Is Assessed:
- A mixture of course work, short multiple choice tests and an exam based Graded unit.
Number of Days per week:
- 14 hours a week, usually spread across 2 and a half days.
- Three C passes at Higher, one must be in a numerate subject such as Computing and Maths or a Science
- Two Highers may be considered if the subjects are Science, Maths or Computing based and are at a grade higher than a C
- An SCQF level 6 pass in a relevant subject such as Computing
- If you are a mature student then we will take current or previous skills and experience into account
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At the interview, you may be asked to attend a screening exercise to assess your skills and there will be course information provided by a lecturer from the course.
- Technical and desktop support.
Download our progression route map here
- BEng Security and Forensic (Incorporating HND Networking) - year 2
- HND Computer Science - year 2
- BSc Information Technology (Incorporating HND Computer Science) - year 2
- A related degree course
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...