The part-time HNC Childhood Practice course is perfect for young people, adults who are looking to get back into education or those who are progressing on from our NC Early Education and Childcare course. This course will teach leadership skills, child development, health and safety and care in contemporary society. From this course, students can apply for registration as an SSSC professional, and go into employment within nurseries, playgroups, after schools clubs and other play schemes.
It is preferable, but not essential, that applicants have some experience of working in early learning or childcare settings. Students who are working in a different sector will still need to meet the 60 days placement requirement.
- How to observe and assess children’s learning and development and apply theoretical knowledge to your practice.
- How to promote health and well-being with children and gain a good understanding of children’s rights and participation.
- We promote active learning and you can expect to be taking part in activities in and out of the classroom.
- This course has mandatory workplace requirements.
- There are specific units of study in this course which must be achieved in the workplace. Candidates on this part-time HNC course will require to be in a childcare workplace setting for 60 days throughout their course. This can be in your usual workplace or in a voluntary placement.
How Course Is Assessed:
- The course is assessed by a combination of project work essays closed book assessments and presentations.
Number of Days per week:
- One twilight session (4:30 – 9) per week over 2 years
- A minimum of two Highers one of which should be English or pass a relevant NC at SCQF Level 6 or SVQ Level 2 Children’s Care Learning and Development/Social Services Children and Young People Note; applicants with significant experience of working with children will also be considered please detail this in your personal statement.
- You must be in employment as a practitioner to apply for this course.
- We can accept application from those who are volunteering in a childcare setting however we will require confirmation from your supervisor that you are working at a practitioner level in this role.
English Proficiency Requirements:
- Further study options include degree-level courses such as BA Childhood Practice and Level 9 PDA Childhood Practice
- This course is intended to enable registration with the SSSC as a practitioner.
- Further study options could include degree-level courses such as BA Childhood Practice, PDA Childhood Practice @ Level 9, HND Childhood Practice.
- To progress to higher qualification experience of working in a childcare setting is essential and for many there will also be a requirement to be working in a supervisory role.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
Fee: £725 Midlothian evening (year 1)Fee: £599 Midlothian evening (year 2)
This course will start week commencing...