This Childcare: Second Steps course is designed for adults/mature applicants and those wishing to return to formal education and gain recognised qualifications. Working with young children and helping them learn essential skills for life is very rewarding and worthwhile.
This Second Steps course is also a progression route onto Childcare Practice: Level 5 at Edinburgh College and is aimed at mature applicants without formal qualifications. This is a Short Full-Time course which runs for 18 weeks (with about 16 hours per week in college plus a 3 hour per week self-study allocation). Note – school leavers and young people should apply for Childcare and Play: First Steps.
- Care of Children Child Development and the Process and Practice of Play
- Children and Young People: Rights and Protection.
- Supporting Children with Additional Support Needs
- ICT – Core Skill Certificate at Level 5
- Introduction to the Health Sector Candidates who successfully achieve this course will be awarded the SQA certificate in “Early Education and Childcare” at SCQF 4.
- There is no formal placement requirement for this course however there may be work experience opportunities in a Childcare Setting as available.
How Course Is Assessed:
Number of Days per week:
- 3 days per week - around 16 hours per week in college with a 3 hour per week self-study expectation.
- There are no formal entry requirements however candidates must demonstrate a keen interest in childcare be well presented and have good interpersonal and communication skills. Remember that this course is designed for Adults Mature applicants and those wishing to return to formal education. (Note –School leavers and young people should apply for Childcare and Play: First Steps)
- Staff who work in nurseries afterschool clubs and childcare provision are required to register with the SSSc – The Scottish Social Services Council. Details of registration requirements can be found at http://www.sssc.uk.com/registration
- Applicants for this level of course who are intending to undertake further study in Childhood Practice (beyond ‘Second Steps’) will be required to apply for a PVG as they progress onto these higher level courses. PVG = Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme. This PVG Scheme is for all those who work - whether paid or unpaid - with children and protected adults in the UK that would confirm that there is no known reason why an individual should not work with these groups. Detail of the PVG Scheme can be found http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2011/08/04111811/1
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
All successful applicants will be invited to their campus of choice for a welcome event. The purpose of this welcome event is to:
- To meet with the team and tour our facilities
- Further discussion on the PVG scheme and what it involves
- Overview of your chose course and its content
- Workwear sizing and order*
- Next Steps – timetable our expectations and your expectations
- Your future – further study employment and career opportunities
- Your chance to ask us questions. This welcome event is a compulsory requirement to secure your place on the course.
*For this level of course your workwear is funded through your bursary award (no requirement for you to pay). Workwear is required to be worn when in placement. All Childcare workwear is specifically designed for us and will have the Edinburgh College and Childcare logo embroidered on each item. The kit includes Polo Shirts (x3) Hoodie and weather proof Jacket for outdoor activities.
- This Second Steps course is designed for you to progress onto further study and in itself will not lead to direct employment in a Childcare setting. Courses and qualifications that lead onto SSSc registration and employment opportunities at Edinburgh College are NC Early Education and Childcare (SCQF level 6) and HNC Childhood Practice (SCQF Level7).
- Childhood Practice: Level 5 Suitability for progression will be determined by achievement including Core Skills attendance record conduct and a successful progression discussion. Also, note the PVG / SSSc Registration requirements when progressing onto any higher level of Childhood Practice course (Childhood courses beyond ‘Second Steps’).
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...