Are you currently participating in football at a competitive level and looking to improve your skills and performance to potentially make a career in the sport? Or looking to enhance your knowledge and understanding of sports performance and excellence to move onto further study at HNC/D level? Then this could be the course for you.
This course is based around a National Progression Award designed to support and help you to develop confidence and personal ambition in your own sporting performance.
The course will also provide you with knowledge and skills involved in attaining sporting excellence and enhance your prospects for continuing education in or out of the industry through the development of transferable skills. There will be a considerable focus on practical activities in order to enhance and/or complement existing training and performance schedules, supported by classroom work. You must be participating at a competitive level, committed to improvement and be able to support your application with a letter of recommendation from your PE department, club or National Governing Body.
- This course focuses on your sporting performance developing knowledge and skills in target setting personal career management and lifestyle planning and evaluating what is ‘excellence’.
- You will study subjects that will help with; individual performance improvement analysis and evaluation exercise and resistance training methods anatomy and exercise physiology instructional skills codes of conduct and effective communication skills.
How Course Is Assessed:
- The course is assessed on an on-going basis throughout the academic year using a variety of methods which can include: written assessments logbooks group exercises projects assignments and practical tasks and observations.
Number of Days per week:
- Candidates would ideally have 3 National 5s at `C` or above, preferably to include English and/or a science subject. National 4 Biology would also be advantageous.
- You should be able to provide evidence of or are expecting to meet the minimum entry qualifications by August 2015.
- You must be participating at a competitive level committed to improvement and be able to support your application with a letter of recommendation from your PE department club or National Governing Body.
- Although not essential at the point of application evidence of a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme may be an expectation of all applicants.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At interview you will be expected to provide supporting evidence of your participation in sport at a competitive level and there will be a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
- The interview session may also include some written work to assess your general knowledge in sport exercise and fitness activities anatomical systems and identify your personal aims objectives and potential career path.
- Although this course is primarily aimed at progression onto the HNC/D in either Fitness Health and Exercise or Coaching and Developing Sport it may be possible to gain employment in positions such as:
- sports leader
- sports coach assistant
- sports coach
- gym / leisure assistant.
Download our progression route map here
- You may go directly into the world of work or progress onto further study in appropriately levelled courses in Sport and Fitness such as:
- HNC/D in Fitness Health and Exercise
- HNC/D Coaching and Developing Sport
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...