Working with young children and helping them learn essential skills for life is very rewarding and worthwhile. With the expansion of Early Learning and Childcare services across Scotland, there are lots of jobs available. This is a flexible career, with a variety of different ways to train and study to qualify as an Early Learning professional.
This Childhood Practice: Level 5 course is for those who already have academic qualifications at SCQF level 4 or above and/or for those progressing on from our Childhood Practice: First and Second Steps courses (or similar) at Edinburgh College. Previous experience will be taken into account and work experience in a childcare setting is desirable. This is the fast track version of this course, running for 18 weeks.
All successful applicants will be invited along to a mandatory applicant day. Find out more about the events.
Students studying childcare courses may be required to register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) and to apply for a PVG. Read about these here and find out what you need to do.
- Development and Wellbeing of Children and Young People
- Children and Young People: Practice and Process of Play
- Working with Children and Young People
- Preparation for work placement
- Health and Wellbeing of Children in a Practical Setting
- Communication – Core Skill Certificate at SCQF Level 5. Candidates who successfully achieve this course will be awarded the SQA certificate in “Playwork and Childcare” at SCQF 5.
This course has a workplace requirement. This is to prepare you for further higher level study where work placement is a mandatory part of the course and certificate. Candidates on this Level 5 course will be in a childcare workplace setting for approximately 20 days throughout their course. Details of placement dates will be available at the applicant event.
How Course Is Assessed:
Continual assessment plus work placement activities, assessments and tasks.
Number of Days per week:
- 3 days per week with 3 hours per week of self-study and additional team working and community based activities as appropriate.
- Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays, 9:00-16:30. Subject to change.
- We will make every effort to provide your chosen course at your chosen campus.
- Certification at SCQF level 4 or above (or equivalent).
- Previous experience will be taken into account and work experience in a childcare setting is desirable – please provide details in your personal statement.
- Staff who work in nurseries, after-school clubs and childcare provision are required to register with the SSSC. Read more about the SSSC.
- Applicants for this level of course who are intending to undertake further study in Childhood Practice will be required to apply for a PVG. Read about the PVG scheme here.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
All successful applicants will be invited along to an applicant day. View the dates and find out more about the events.
For this level of course your workwear is funded through your bursary award (no requirement for you to pay). Workwear is required to be worn when in placement.
This Childhood Practice: Level 5 course is designed for you to progress onto further study and in itself will not lead to direct employment in a childcare setting.
- NC Early Education and Childcare (SCQF 6).
- HNC Childhood Practice (SCQF Level 7).
- Suitability for progression will be determined by achievement, attendance record, conduct and a successful progression discussion.
- Your work placement activities will also be taken into account.
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...