If you are looking for a course to enhance your knowledge of sports coaching and development to assist progression onto further study at HNC/D level then this could be the course for you. This full-time course runs for the whole academic year and is based around a National Progression Award designed to support and help you develop confidence personal leadership qualities and skills in planning implementing and evaluating aspects of coaching and developing sport. It will enhance prospects for continuing education in the sport and fitness industry or outside it through the development of transferable skills. There will be a considerable focus on practical participation in a range of sports and physical activities in order to enhance and/or complement existing performance and coaching abilities. This will be supported by a reasonably challenging level of classroom work in order to develop knowledge and understanding. You should have a keen interest in sports leading activities or coaching and be regularly participating in sports and physical activities to make the most out of this course.
- Sports participation and developing knowledge and skills in coaching and sport development
- Sports development
- Performance improvement
- Analysis and evaluation
- Exercise and resistance training methods
- Anatomy and exercise physiology
- Instructional skills
- Codes of conduct
- Sports officiating
- Effective communication skills.
- Opportunities may arise to work with local schools and community groups as your course progresses.
How Course Is Assessed:
- The course is assessed on an on-going basis throughout the academic year using a variety of methods which can include: written assessments logbooks group exercises projects assignments and practical tasks and observations.
Number of Days per week:
- Candidates would ideally have 3 National 5s at `C` or above, preferably to include English and/or a science subject. National 4 Biology would also be advantageous..
- Other relevant and similarly levelled qualifications will be considered such as:
- SVQ level 2 Sports Activity Leader BTEC 2 Diploma in Sport
- Sport and Recreation at SCQF at level 5
- NQ Sport and Fitness at SCQF at level 5
- You may be a candidate who comes from a non-traditional route such as a mature returnee or one who wishes to change career or perhaps retrain following a career break to raise a family.
- In these or other cases we would take into account work experience life skills and potential ability.
- You may be expected to submit a brief written assignment or essay before interview to provide some indication of academic standing and communication skills.
- You should be able to provide evidence of or are expecting to meet the minimum entry qualifications by August 2015.
- You should be participating in sports and physical activities and committed to self-improvement
- Although not essential at the point of application evidence of a suitable level of clearance through the PVG scheme may be an expectation of all applicants.
English Proficiency Requirements:
Information on Test/Auditions/Interview Requirements:
- At interview you will be expected to show your knowledge of and active participation in sport and fitness activities along with knowledge of the role of a sports coach/activity leader.
- The interview session may include practical elements based on sports performance/problem solving/communication skills written work based on your aims objectives and knowledge of the subject area and a one to one discussion with a member of the sport and fitness team.
- Although this course is primarily aimed at progression onto the HNC/D in Coaching and Developing Sport it may be possible to gain employment in positions such as:
- sports leader
- sports coach assistant
- sports coach
- gym / leisure assistant.
Download our progression route map here
- You may go directly into the world of work or progress onto further study in appropriately levelled courses in Sport and Fitness such as:
- HNC/D Coaching and Developing Sport
- HNC/D in Fitness Health and Exercise
- SVQs in Sports Development
Fees - Information about funding can be found here
This course will start week commencing...